mysterious credit card charges

micky

Nov 27, 2020, 5:57:29 AM11/27/20
"Before getting into a credit card dispute, wait until the unfamiliar
charge actually posts to your account. Some pending charges will correct
or disappear before they're posted to your account. Hotels and gas
stations, for example, often place an initial charge on your credit card
to request authorization for the transaction from your bank. Pending
restaurant charges typically don't include the tip you added and may
appear lower than you expect at first. "
https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/how-to-dispute-a-credit-card-charge
but I'm sure you all know the other stuff it says.

I wish I'd known this 4 years ago. I was in Europe and gas stations
from one chain used to bill me for more than twice what the gas tank
would hold. I went to one of the two gas stations, called the gasoline
company, and called my credit card company back in the US**, and in the
end, wrote an apology letter to the manager of the gas station. I'm
glad when I went to complain I hadn't yelled or said anything insulting
to him. (I never do that.) While he was reading my letter, he put his
arm around me and offered me a free coffee. And I took it. It's bad
form not to accept what's offered like that.

**There were iirc two overcharges plus a more interesting episode where
the pump would not accept my card. The guy there tried twice, and then
I paid cash. But because of that, two charges showed up on the online
bill. One of the two charges disappeared while I was talking to the
credit card company on the phone***, the woman on the phone said.
Pretty weird because it was several days after I had gotten the gas, and
because she didn't know what was going on. The other charge disappeared
a few days later. And I guess the overcharges turned into accurate
charges.

I still don't understand why this has to happen. I can see when one
starts to pump gas the gas pump putting a hold on one's credit card for
the maximum amount any car can hold, or even any truck. But 5 minutes
later, the pump knows how much gas was delivered, so why can't the
actual charge replace the hold right then?

The hotel is different. When you check out and pay they haven't checked
the room yet to see if you stole the television. And maybe restaurants
are different because they put the credit card charge through before
they present you the receipt and you add a tip? I usually tip in cash
and I can't remember.

***BTW, if a USA 800 number won't work when you are out of the USA,
calling with Skype will likely work. IMO it uses the internet to get to
the USA, but then uses the phone system to dial the number, so at the
destination, it looks like you're calling from the USA.

Reggie Dunlop

Nov 27, 2020, 6:37:54 AM11/27/20
On 11/27/20 5:57 AM, micky wrote:
> "Before getting into a credit card dispute, wait until the unfamiliar
> charge actually posts to your account. Some pending charges will correct
> or disappear before they're posted to your account. Hotels and gas
> stations, for example, often place an initial charge on your credit card
> to request authorization for the transaction from your bank. Pending
> restaurant charges typically don't include the tip you added and may
> appear lower than you expect at first. "
> https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/how-to-dispute-a-credit-card-charge
> but I'm sure you all know the other stuff it says.
>
> I wish I'd known this 4 years ago. I was in Europe and gas stations
> from one chain used to bill me for more than twice what the gas tank
> would hold.

Gas stations in the US used to have a huge problem with drive-off
democrats. Now it's all pre-pay or credit device at the pump.

FromTheRafters

Nov 27, 2020, 8:15:40 AM11/27/20
Reggie Dunlop pretended :
Wow! When did *that* happen?

fact checker

Nov 27, 2020, 10:22:11 AM11/27/20
Democrats love to gaslight

FromTheRafters

Nov 27, 2020, 11:05:18 AM11/27/20
fact checker expressed precisely :
If only Republicans would not fall for it so easily. If wishes were
fishes . . .

Bob F

Nov 27, 2020, 10:36:54 PM11/27/20
And trumptards love to make crap up.

Arlen Holder

Nov 28, 2020, 10:34:04 PM11/28/20
On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 05:57:22 -0500, micky wrote:

> e posted to your account.

Hi micky,

Will you please stop proving that I'm right about you
that your only intent is to ruin this newsgroup with your spam?

marika

Nov 28, 2020, 11:24:49 PM11/28/20
Remember how bad biden was doing in Georgia

Then he caught up and won

Then he won Pennsylvania. The final ridiculous lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice today (laches)

So what you are saying is everyone in Georgia and Pennsylvania is in the habit of ripping off gas station owners, even though a number of the people in those states are democrats and own gas stations

most credit card companies will not let you dispute until you have actually asked the company issuing the erroneous charge to fix it

mk5000

Tom Kirkman: Right now, I don't care about the optics. I care about the crew.

Aaron Shore: Well, sir, I have to advise you if we start launching missiles at their ships, the Verona's a sitting duck.

Emily Rhodes: And the clock is ticking. We don't want force to be our primary option.==Designated Survivor (TV Series)
Two Ships